I believe Website designer already knows and have knowledge about Font Awesome. Some people have misconceptions about Font Awesome that they can think this is a normal font for using it in website design just like Google font. But this concept about Font Awesome is completely wrong. Font Awesome is a pictographic language of web-related actions. It is also known as iconic font. More clearly users use font awesome for displaying icons. Font Awesome is a set of predefines code and also included its own output icons which is previously developed and set. For example if you write predefine font code then it will display as vector icon in your web Site or Blog. And the most positive feature is that you can easily scale the icons that included in Font Awesome file. Don’t think that if you increase or decrease the Font Awesome icon size then it will blur or hazy. Because Font Awesome don’t use any images file.
Another best feature of Font Awesome, not only it’s icon you can customize but also you can change icon's size, color, drop shadow as well as able to add animated effect and so on. In addition by the help of CSS coding we can give different shape and looks as well as animation. Originally Font Awesome designed for Twitter Bootstrap but now using almost in every web design platform. Bootstrap is a collection of SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic) icons which can resize to any size.
The main features of Font Awesome
- Font Awesome count as one Font but currently it has 519 Icons. And number of icons will increase after releasing with its new version.
- Font Awesome is a pictographic language of web-related actions.
- You can resize in any size and change it in any color. It has Infinite Scalability features.
- Though it used scalable vector graphics that means every icon looks awesome at any size. Free, as in Speech
- The great news is that Font Awesome is completely free for commercial and personal use.
- Font Awesome has full CSS Control. So we can customize it by adding CSS coding. You can give different style, icon color, size, shadow, and anything that's possible with CSS.
- Retina use for crispy and clear display and Font Awesome is perfect on Retina Displays
- Font Awesome icons are vectors, which mean they're gorgeous on high-resolution displays.
- Font Awesome works great with all frameworks. Originally designed for Bootstrap, This is also Desktop Friendly.
- To use on the desktop or for a complete set of vectors, it has separate cheatsheets.
- Font Awesome is Screen Reader Compatible. It is fit for any kinds of screen size and won’t blur or fade.
Origins of Font Awesome
Font Awesome was developed for using on Twitter Bootstrap. Twitter Bootstrap was founded by two former Twitter software engineers, Mark Otto and Jacob Thornton as a front end for web development. It was developed with its templates for forms, buttons and other user interface items. Twitter Bootstrap was open sourced introduced August 2011.
Twitter Bootstrap was hosted on NetDNA, presently changed to MaxCDN and launched BootstrapCDN. BootstrapCDN is a free content delivery network aspect of Bootstrap and it was launch on June 7, 2012 and a stable launch on July 5, 2012. Stanford University, Angry Birds and Gizmodo utilize BootstrapCDN.
Font Awesome, a font designed for use with Twitter Bootstrap,. And it was integrated into BootstrapCDN on August 21, 2012. The font offers CSS-friendly scalable vector icons that are CSS-friendly for customization.
After launching Font Awesome 5th July 2013 it served billions of requests. Now this is the most popular platform in website designing.
How to Access?
Now web developers have full access on BootstrapCDN's. But we have to use a simple CSS code that will load from BootstrapCDN's server
<link href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.0/css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet">
In Blogger site we can use any version of Font Awesome. By using
<link href='Font Awesome File Link Here' rel='stylesheet'/>
<link href='//netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.3.0/css/font-awesome.min.css' rel='stylesheet'/>
You can learn more by visiting Font Awesome Official site from below link-
Hopefully I will share part by part with your details tutorial about using Font Awesome on Blogger Template. Till then stay tunes.